Alright Ladies. Are you ready for this? No. I mean, are you really ready for this? I'm going to ride this train until it becomes impossible to hold on any longer - with or without you. ;)
First, I had a thought. I want to do something to "build the kingdom" so to speak. Beginning Enrichment groups just didn't do it - I want to impact more women than just those in my ward boundaries. Then, I thought of creating a magazine. A magazine designed especially and specifically for LDS women. How COOL would that be. I'm talking ALL LDS women. Not just moms.
I figure it will have three "groups" of women - Single, Wives and Mothers. With sections designated specifically for them. And on top of it, lots of stuff that all women can enjoy (fashion, visit teaching ideas, health & fitness, spotlights, spiritual and temporal preparedness, music/book/movie reviews, faith building experiences - to name a FEW! - I have over 50 subject ideas!)
I know 100+ LDS women (who know 100+ women, who know 100+ women...) who each have something to offer (including YOU!). They each have some profession, skill, talent, hobby, experience, training etc... that SOMEONE could benefit from! How amazing would it be to collaborate with these women to strengthen, edify and uplift our fellow sisters?!
Next, I did some research on what is offered out there. There is no Magazine (that I could find) that specifically addresses LDS Women. I found one online-magazine that addresses LDS Women all over the world. I definitely think this will be a success!
Then I did some studying up on starting a new magazine in general and learned A LOT of things to do and things NOT to do. I learned about what makes a successful magazine - and I really think this will be successful! I really believe that LDS women will benefit, spiritually, emotionally and "socially" from this magazine! It has all the potential of absolute success.
HOWEVER, I learned a lot about the business side of running a magazine - and that is where the really hard work and research comes into play. It will take a large sum of money to start it and keep it going. And there's the question of charging for the magazine - or not. How to profit and make it worth my while. I learned that Advertising will be where the profit comes in - not neccessarily subscriptions. You can imagine all the questions and concerns that came up there!
I don't have thousands of dollars to invest right now, and I'm not interested in trying to find an investor until I test the idea out with real LDS women!
So here's the real kicker. I am going to start an online-version of the magazine. The startup cost is minimal, the networking is already there, and LDS women can really get a feel for what the magazine is all about! Most women may prefer an online-version, but I still think there is nothing like having a hardcopy right there in your hands that you can take with you wherever you go and read and your convenience!
A printed magazine is still the goal - but I want to get to the point where it wont become such a risk to take. I want the website to be a success so finding advertisers wont be so difficult, and so the time everyone spends on it will be worth it. If we have high, positive traffic on the website, the odds of the magazine being successful are much more likely!
If you have a business you want to promote - this will be the place to do it!
My projected launch date for the website is January 1st 2009. That gives us a little less than 5 months to get it together. My projected launch date of the magazine is January 1st 2010.
For now, all time put towards the project will be donated, until further notice. If you're interested in being a part if this, or would like more information please let me know! Just about any position is open, and it will probably be a first-come first serve basis of who gets dibs on what articles etc... if you have ideas, suggestions etc... email me or post a comment! I can email you a list of subject ideas I have come up with, or answer questions you might have!
I am not looking for "professionals" (so to speak) to write articles and share experiences. I want "real" womens voices and stories! I've read your blogs - I know you can write! If you are an English Major (Megan! Charami!) - put those skills to use! If you can't think of something to add, but your interested, just let me know and I will think of something for you!!!
If you have a sister/friend/mother/niece/aunt that you think would like to be a part of this, feel free to forward this blog to them! I am definitely interested in networking with LDS women all over the country!
I will be updating this blog with any new information or leads regarding this project!
Let's get this party started!
-Alicia
14 comments:
Hey!
I absolutely love the idea and am excited for every bit of it! Let me know how I can help! yay!
i'm an english major too!!!
Yes! Love it! Totally interested. WOuld LOVE to write in it. I'll start thinking of ideas. Good work, Alicia.
Great idea! It's funny cause I have been thinking seriously about writing for a newspaper or a magazine just this week! Let me know! I have a friend who could share some of her experiences being an LDS mom with serious pre and post pardom depression. She has a blog called medicatednomore.blogspot.com.
I would LOVE to help also in any area, I would especially love to take pictures for these articles these talented young ladies will write..PUT ME TO WORK!
Alicia! This is awesome! I about imploded from excitement when I read your idea - and then I was surprised that this hasn't been done already, you know? Brilliant!
I would LOVE to participate. I have a big ol' eye for editing and proofreading, and I would love to write about canning/preparedness, teaching, self-worth, womanhood, etc., anything! Let me know!!
-Adrienne
So crazy that I have thought the same thing! Great minds think alike. I am proud of you for wanting to do something like this and for pushing it along. I totally want to help in anyway I can. I too was an English major, and love doing editing and proofing. However, I would love to do anything! I love the idea of dedicating to just LDS women. There is the magazine called LDS Living, but that is generalized to all LDS. Keep me posted in how I can help! Boo-rah for you! I'm excited!
I might be up for the challenge of writing something-as long as it had to do with Exercise, Health, Diet (Cooking/Recipes), etc. I think both Kalani and I could contribute to that topic. Possibly other stuff-sewing, crafty stuff, etc. I could even write about my home birth experience. Just some ideas. Oh and you would want to include something for widows along with the single, married, and married with children.
Hi! I am a friend of Jenny Jensen. She told me about this fabulous site and I am totally interested in writing/marketing etc... I just received my Bachelors degree in business with a focus on communication. I would LOVE any opportunity to be a part of this especially because I have been feeling for some time that LDS women need something "real worldish". This is awesome. You go girl!!!
Just stumbled in here and thought- What a great idea! No degree in english but have graduated from changing diapers and am headed into the terrific teens(tongue in cheek). I have 5 kids, one great husband, am a professional toilet scrubber and LOVE the gospel. Would be interested in taking part in your project if you need more help!
I think this is an awesome idea! I definitely can help out the single section. I have some funny, sad, emotional, inspiring stories to share. I am sure some of my friends would love to help out too.
Great idea Alicia!!
jeep me posted on your ideas and such. i'd be interested in helping in some way. :)
You go girl. I am so excited to see you take off with this project. Remember, keep dreaming big and don't let nay sayers get in your way! I would love to see a section for food storage with recipes and know hows including self sufficient living. I would even think about advertising my business, but I am not sure I can handle the rush of business that would create, this is going to be so big!!!
Oooh! I'm excited all over again after reading the other blogs!!! Yep, this is true inspiration! K, so you know what I do and where to find me, whatever you want, count me in! God speed us all on this journey!!!
Post a Comment